Oxine Chlorine Dioxide Disinfectant


Chlorine Dioxide to stop COVID-19 in air and on surfaces
 

The active ingredient in Oxine is Chlorine Dioxide.
*Oxine is on the US EPA's List N of more than 300 disinfectants validated for use against the COVID-19 coronavirus.

At appropriate concentrations, some Chlorine Dioxide disinfectants
can be conveniently sprayed in the air by fine-mist spray bottle or humidifier,
as well as on skin and clothing, to kill viruses, bacteria, mold and fungus.

 
This makes Chlorine Dioxide extremely valuable since we have learned that COVID-19 can spread through tiny aerosol droplets we breathe out.
You can learn more about Chlorine Dioxide use at www.CoronavirusCD.org


Oxine Chlorine Dioxide and Citric Acid mixing amounts
How to use Oxine
disinfectant for chickens for controlling respiratory sickness caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi or mold

Oxine AH is a 2% liquid solution of the chemical compound Chlorine Dioxide made by Bio-Cide International.
View product information on manufacturer's website

Information on using Oxine AH for cleaning coops, washing eggs, and adding to drinking water:
(Note: Parts of these instructions are for treating high amounts of water.)
View Instructions


"Activation"

Oxine AH comes as a concentrated liquid in a quart or gallon jug. It becomes a much more potent disinfectant when it is "activated" with Citric Acid, which you can order along with your Oxine. Activation is useful and safe for many purposes, but not for some others.
  • When used as activated solution at standard high-level concentration (500 ppm), one gallon of concentrate makes 40 gallons of diluted solution.
  • When used non-activated, Oxine should be used in more concentrated amounts, and will not reach the same disinfecting intensity.

Some bird owners report Oxine AH has reduced incidences of some hard-to-treat respiratory illnesses in their birds.

Oxine kills many types of fungi, as well as Avian Influenza A virus, Newcastle Disease virus, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Salmonella, E. Coli, Mycobacterium, and many other bacteria and viruses.
Oxine needs to be used at an appropriate concentration for the target pathogen, and stay in direct physical contact with it for a sufficient length of time to destroy it. (Some require as little as 10 secs. and others require as long as 10 mins.).

Caution about effectiveness:

Do not place over-confidence in this treatment. In a number of situations, Oxine is not helpful, so do not have overly high expectations that it will help your birds.
** PoultryPedia does not recommend using Oxine as the primary treatment for most respiratory problems, particularly if the problem has developed to a critical point. In many cases, other treatments are needed instead of or in addition to Oxine. **
Note: Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar "with the mother" may offer some of the same benefits as Oxine. However, it should NOT be used together with Oxine, or they will have a strong chemical reaction.

Different sources offer conflicting information on using activated vs. unactivated Oxine. You should do additional research to determine correct methods of use.
  • The Oxine bottle label says: You should not use activated Oxine while animals are present, you should use a respirator when spraying, and solution should be washed off feed & water containers before using again.
  • However, scientific studies have demonstrated that even activated chlorine dioxide is safe to inhale when present in the air at very low levels, though you should wear a mask when spraying high concentrations of activated Oxine.
  • Non-activated Oxine has very mild effects on the body, but is not powerful enough for many purposes.
  • Important note: Some types of uses (such as in drinking water and around food) of activated Oxine are only safe with VERY LOW concentrations, such as 5 ppm.
Oxine's effectiveness is deteriorated by exposure to sunlight. Oxine concentrate and all solutions be stored until use in a closed container that is either nontransparent or is kept away from daylight.
  • Activated Oxine solution's effectiveness will decrease over time so you need to usually mix it fresh every 5-10 days.
  • Non-activated Oxine mixed with water will stay effective (although at a lower intensity) much longer.
*Important note: The amount of Oxine required per cup of water is different for making Activated Oxine solutions vs. Non-activated Oxine solutions.
Fine mist spray bottle

Nebulization / inhaled mist treatment / fogging for Respiratory infections:
Note: Nebulization is not included in instructions on the Oxine AH label, but many poultry keepers report it has helped their birds.

Mix  minimum of 2 1/2 teaspoons non-activated Oxine AH with 1 cup water. (This is enough for about four 15-min. humidifier or 8 spray bottle treatments for a few chickens.)
* Apply via a fogger, vaporizer, very fine mist spray bottle, or non-transparent ultrasonic "cool mist" humidifier, and direct the mist toward the bird's face.
Note: Water droplets must be very small to reach as deeply as possible into the birds' lungs & air sacs.
Spray bottles need to produce a very fine mist to be effective. The typepictured at left (sold at some beauty supply stores and online) will produce a continuous stream of mist at any angle so may be useful. If your spray bottle or humidifier has partly transparent sections, spray paint them to make them thoroughly opaque. Oxine needs protection from light or its potency will be rapidly lost.

You can instead use activated Oxide at appropriate low amounts. For mixing calculations, you can use the Oxine Mixing Calculator for Making Activated Solution.

* Nice bonus! Oxine mist will also kill bacteria, viruses, fungi and mold on surfaces it lands on in the coop.
Directing the mist toward a bird's face can be most conveniently done while it is in the dark sleeping on the roost at night, or if you place the bird in a confined area. Alternatively, you can use a somewhat heavier mist so that there is sufficient in the general area for the bird to inhale a decent amount.
~~Tip: You can plug a humidifier into an electrical outlet timer, to set up a cycle of power being turned off & on a few times each day, to provide scheduled Oxine nebulization sessions without you needing to manually turn a humidifier on and off each time.
It is not recommended to use a fan while treating birds, because the fan may cause the droplets to be blown away from birds and evaporated more quickly.
  •  For less severe problems: Give one 15+ minute treatment every other day for a week.
  •  For severe problems: Give treatments up to 3 times per day or leave humidifier on overnight for up to 5 days.
  •  Routine care: Give 15-min treatment once a week.
Caution: Do not overdo the heaviness / intensity of the mist! (especially if using spray bottle). Overly high humidity can feel almost suffocating for birds (and people!).
  • Too heavy moisture amounts might make breathing somewhat difficult plus cause too much moisture buildup in lungs and breathing air sacs.
  • With some people, it may be possible for heavy Oxine mist to cause mild temporary headache. Birds might experience similar discomfort.
Treatment in drinking water for Digestive Tract infections:
3 to 5 drops (Use eyedropper to add.) non-activated Oxine AH per quart (4 cups) of drinking water. If you use activated Oxine AH, you need to dilute it down to 1 ppm.
--Also reduces transmission of germs between birds, plus helps minimize growth of algae in waterer.
Notes:
* Some antibiotic medicines are affected by Chlorine Dioxide. It may be best to separate them--such as by putting Chlorine Dioxide in drinking water, and giving the antibiotic directly orally or by injection.
* Oxine will kill probiotics such as Lactobacillus, so do not give them together.
* Except for the amount you may use to initially "activate" Oxine, DO NOT USE ORGANIC ACIDS (vinegar, citric acid, lemon juice, etc.) with Oxine. They react STRONGLY together.
 
Sanitation and Cleaning
Oxine can kill many funguses, mold, bacteria and viruses. Activated or non-activated Oxine AH can be used to clean contaminated areas, but the activated form has a significantly more potent effect. The manufacturer recommends wearing a face mask respirator in some situations when using substantial amounts of activated Oxine, but breathing is comfortable where there is reasonably good ventilation. Unlike bleach, chlorine dioxide does not create cancer-causing byproducts.
Oxine is VERY SUPERIOR TO BLEACH for cleaning surfaces that have biofilm or are porous.
  • With a bleach solution, bleach's power can get used up on a porous surface area (such as wood) and then only water will penetrate past that. The water moisture that soaks below the surface can then actually increase growth of fungi, etc.
  • With an Oxine solution, the Oxine does not react with organic material as much, so it will stay with the water more, and penetrate to also kill fungi, bacteria, etc. below the surface.
Treatment for Infected Wounds
You can safely use 300 ppm concentration of activated Oxine on a Bumblefoot or other wound as part of treatment. Chlorine dioxide kills Staphylococcus aureus, which is the main bacteria that causes most Bumblefoot infections.

* You can order Oxine AH from:
First State Vet Supply, A to Z Vet Supply, Best Veterinary Solutions, Revival Animal Health, Hakes' Twin City Poultry Supplies, Lambert Vet Supply, Great Companions , and Animart .
Several of these retailers also sell the Citric Acid Activator.

Average costs: 1 gallon of Oxine - $26, 1 lb of Citric Acid - $14.
Each 1 gallon of activated Oxine makes at least 40 gallons of extra-strength disinfectant (500 ppm concentration). Final cost is only $1/gallon!
Shipping for Oxine is via ground delivery, so it takes a few days & is somewhat expensive because of the weight (usually ~$14).